calling

 


some days
I miss sneaking to the pasture
in search of brambleberries
as thick as my thumb
and pausing in the cool green

some days
I miss curling up next to my dad
on the couch
drifting off while a Sunday sport droned on

some days
I miss the quiet of the wind cave
when they turned off the lights
and the hush fell hard
and in the dark was peace

some days
I miss the mornings
standing in dew and listening to birds
calling
sending signals across the woods
calling for something I couldn't understand
but my heart beat in time to their song

some days
I miss
ease

and I mourn for others
who have no ease
whose ease and peace were stolen
who are weary from fighting for their lives
and from being silenced

so I stand up
and stretch
and walk in the sun
and talk to my mom
and to those who are gone
and remember that rest is sacred

and then I take a deep breath
so I can lift my voice
with those who are calling
sending signals across the world
calling for change
and my heart beats in time to their song

Comments