Answers

Photo by Michael Dziedzic on Unsplash.


Today I find wonder in listening.

So much is going on in our worlds: the wider world (in which I mean our global community), our individual nations, and in our smaller worlds we have at home, in our neighborhoods, etc. I find myself in a storm of emotions -- not just a "flurry," but a full-blown blizzard. They descend without warning and can last for the better part of a day. Sometimes I feel like I have whiplash from seeing progress and then seeing quite the opposite. 

My pastor has been writing daily reflections since our stay-at-home orders began. What stood out to me from the post she wrote yesterday was this line: 

settle down and seek peace

The context in which she wrote it wasn't a command, but to me it felt like an answer I'd been seeking. What do I do with these emotions? How do I vent? How do I grieve? 

I can settle down and seek peace.

I'm not discounting activism, advocacy, and using the power of actions and a sound (reasonable) voice. But in times when I feel I can't do enough, I can do this for myself: I can listen, and I can respond to what I need instead of what the world needs at present.

My yoga affirmation in this morning's practice was, "I have all the answers within me." It made me think of what my therapist used to ask me: "What do you need right now?" She would encourage me to get still and listen. "What does your body tell you? What do you need in this moment?"

When Oliver cries, I find myself asking him, "What do you need?" It's probably a common question parents ask their children, but I also think it's one we should ask ourselves more often. What do we need right now, in this moment? 

You have all the answers you need within you.





Comments