Rest, Routine, and Reactivity



Today, I find wonder in rest and routine. 


Parents are supposed to provide a routine, some form of structure, for our children. Teachers implement it at school, and we're told that it helps the kids. What I didn't realize is how much a routine helps me.

I've been sticking to a daily routine of self-care, chores, work, family time, cooking, relaxing. I try to wake up around the same time each day and on weekdays I try to start my day with yoga. I let myself sleep in a little on the weekends and I have recently been trying to observe a full day of rest (well, as much of a day as I can do). That's new to me, and it's wonderful.

I think building in rest is so important, especially right now. I've also read that building "white space" into your calendar (including work calendar) is just as important -- this gives you time to get up and stretch, to stop doing tasks and engage in more creative thinking/brainstorming, etc.

I finally found time to start a new novel the other evening, and it felt like such a luxury. The time was always there, but I gave myself that time instead of coming up with another chore to cross off my list. Don't we all deserve that every now and then? Why is it so hard to incorporate a block of "nothing" into our daily routines?


On my walk today, I found time to take pictures of weeds. Maybe not how you would spend your free time, and I respect that. Still, even if you're no longer a kid, isn't there still wonder in how a dandelion grows up to look like a fluffy lollipop?




A lovely piece of advice I gleaned from a recent yoga practice was to set my own temperature. The instructor said that we're to take on the role of the thermostat, which decides the temperature, rather than take on the role the temperature, which is reactive. Later in the day I was doing a guided meditation, and the instructor asked how I challenge my reactivity. Okay universe, are you trying to tell me something?

I think space is the answer. If I allow myself space to process emotion, space to think without the need to act immediately, and space to rest, I can visualize my thermostat. I feel that's how I can be proactive and non-reactive. However, that requires me to adjust my routine: I have to build in rest. When I'm not well-rested, I'm reactive. And to me, rest doesn't have to be sleep (although I'm trying to love myself more by going to bed earlier). A stroll outside with my baby, a half hour of reading a novel, an hour of television with my husband, or unstructured time where I don't feel the need to knock off housework from the to-do list are all restful to me.

It's been incredible to see how much better I feel when I'm mindful about rest and routine. And here's what makes me scratch my head in wonder and what will prompt some to call me crazy: I purchased a new planner for the year. During the time in which people are grateful they didn't purchase a planner (because how the heck can we plan right now?!), I'm super excited about organizing each day and finding (planning) moments of rest.

Here's what I'm wondering:

How do you challenge your reactivity? How can we continue on this path even after the world tries to snap back to the way things used to be?

Comments