Balance

Photo by Deniz Altindas on Unsplash.


Recently I came across the phrase, "the idol of productivity." 

I'm someone who falls into the trap of priding myself on my productivity, my efficiency, and my ability to multitask. So what happens when I need a break from the daily grind? I feel guilty. I feel unfulfilled. I feel like I'm falling behind. And sometimes I deny what my body and brain are trying to tell me and then I get sick.

This can even apply to our desire to engage in non-work activities. Do you know someone who panics if (s)he misses a workout? Do you have a friend with chronic FOMO or who overcommits to various activities/roles? Last weekend I was telling my great-aunt that I don't have much time to read books (for pleasure) and it makes me sad. Her (perfect) response was "you can't do everything."

This is what I needed to hear during a time when I'm trying to constantly juggle priorities without letting anything drop to the ground. Nobody is invincible. Even superheroes are vulnerable! We simply can't do everything, and trying to pretend otherwise leads to disaster.

On a division call the other day, my manager gave us permission to take a day off when needed to maintain balance and promote mental health. But what about giving myself permission to let the housework rest for a day so I can rest in return? To stop chasing perfection?

And here's where I think it gets really beautiful and wonderful. The more I practice this balancing act, the more I'm reminded to extend grace to others, understanding that everyone has their own hardships and imbalances.

What I'm wondering:

How do you show kindness to yourself when you're disappointed you didn't check off everything on your to-do list? How do you make time to catch your breath and find your balance?


"A great benefit of Sabbath keeping is that we learn to let God take care of us—not by becoming passive and lazy, but in the freedom of giving up our feeble attempts to be God in our own lives." -Marva Dawn

Comments