One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December detox

I received a juicer as a bridal shower gift from my awesome coworkers, and I'm in love with the thing.

My twin sister spent some time with me after Christmas and we had an end-of-year detox: making lots of smoothies, trying out various juice recipes (and even making our own creation!), and eating lots of raw foods during the day.

Most of our meals during the day were liquid, and we even had a completely raw dinner one evening. We walked and talked as we shopped non-stop. We did yoga DVDs together and watched movies while drinking hot tea and mulled apple and cranberry cider (just 100% organic juice--no added sugars or other juices involved here). We treated ourselves to homemade beauty treatments, such as a hair mask made from avocado and coconut milk, a face mask made from pumpkin and honey, and a face/body mask made from pineapple and coconut milk.

The star of the detox weekend, however, was the juicer. My sister received an identical juicer as a Christmas present, and we both are juicing beginners. It was so much fun to learn how to use the machine, see its power in action, drink the yummy and healthy treats it made, and compost the pulp afterward.

Our skin was glowing, our bodies felt great, and best of all, I was with my sis.

So long, rubbish! Welcome to beauty, simplicity, love, and joy. Out with the junk, in with the clean. Goodbye, regrets, toxic relationships, and old anxieties. Hello, peace, understanding, reflection, and new dreams. Happy New Year!








3 comments:

  1. can you post some of your favorite recipes? for the rest of us newbies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to share! The first juice we tried was called "Waking Beauty" and was published in Sharon Daniels' "A Beginners Guide to Juicing": we doubled the recipe and juiced 4 carrots, 2 apples, and a small chunk of fresh ginger, then stirred 1/2 cup of coconut milk into the juice.
    The second juice we tried was called "The Green Lemonade Cleanser" and was published in the same book mentioned previously. We juiced 1 head of romaine lettuce, 5-6 stalks of kale, 2 apples, 1 lemon, and a small chunk of fresh ginger.
    The third juice we tried was called "Florida Carrot Juice" and was published in Natalie Savona's "The Big Book of Juices": we doubled the recipe and juiced 6 carrots, 1 grapefruit (remove the peel first!), 2 oranges (remove the peel!), and 2 large handfuls of mint.
    I've had excellent juices that I purchased in health foods stores, and I want to try and recreate them, combining ingredients like apple, mint, and spinach; or beets, carrots, ginger, and parsley; or carrots, kale, ginger, and parsley. We juiced collards, kale, tomato, and ginger on our last day (when we were using up our produce) and stirred in carrot juice and just a touch of cranberry juice. It was like drinking a garden!
    Good luck with your juicing endeavors. Let me know if you come up with any fun recipes of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The juicer I used was a Breville Compact Juice Fountain. It did an amazing job and is super powerful for such a cute little thing. It came with a few recipes included, even some that use the pulp that's leftover!

    ReplyDelete