One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

the calm before a very happy storm

My wedding's in a week and two days. I'm trying to leave my work email inbox in a decent state before I head out of the office but it's fighting against me, tooth and nail. I'm working to take care of every little last detail that comes into my brain to ensure I haven't missed anything when it comes to planning our wedding and mini-moon. Our pastor blessed us and prayed with us the other night, and I've never felt as close and connected to my partner as I have in the past few days. Preparing for this huge commitment has synced our brains, I think.

As excited as I am, it's nice to do things that aren't wedding-related. I'm making an honest effort to avoid making an enormous fuss about the day. I'm not dropping everything else in my life for it and I expect that the day after the wedding my life will go on in almost the exact same manner it has been. Sure it's a huge life change and there will be shifts in how we've been living our lives, but a wedding is a wedding and neither of us is trying to make it anything more than that.

I've been minimizing the amount of time I think about the wedding, because I'd rather not get anxious about trying to control things that are, ultimately, out of my control. Unfortunately, I've been dreaming about logistical details (I help plan meetings for a living, what can I say), and I've never been good at forcing my subconscious in a certain direction when dreaming (otherwise I'd have escaped millions of nightmares throughout my life). We actually are attending a wedding this upcoming weekend, and my goal is to bask in the bride's and groom's joy, to toast them and celebrate them and be present in their moment without thinking about ours to come.

One of the best things that's happened in the last week? Walking in the woods with my fiance, not talking about the wedding, and soaking in the fall colors, drinking in the silence and the peace and the calm before we head into the loud, loving arms of our family and friends next week.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics, especially the last one; is this the park we walked in when we were home? I think that squirrel bit off more than he could chew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I haven't taken you to this park yet. I think Fort Washington and Fort Hunt parks should be on our list of places to go when you come visit!

      Delete