One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Monday, November 4, 2013

the ABCs of autumn

I love it when butternut squash ravioli, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin lattes start appearing on menus. I love it when you wake up in the morning and realize you need a robe or sweater or coat before you venture further into your day. Last week it seemed like the leaves on the trees changed overnight. Lining the roads, they looked as if they were on fire with their brilliant reds, oranges, and golds. Suddenly I'm craving soup with a big hunk of crusty bread, I'm ready to break open the mulling spices, and I long to watch movies that for whatever reason have historically made their way into my DVD player during the fall season (movies like Anne of Green Gables, Mermaids, and Harry Potter).

What do you love about autumn? I decided to log a few of my favorite things alphabetically:


  • Acorns
  • Boots with jeans tucked in
  • Campfires
  • Dressing up or decorating for Halloween
  • Equinox -- the arrival of autumn
  • Fall foliage
  • Gathering the harvest
  • Hot apple cider
  • Increased deer sightings
  • Jumping into piles of raked leaves
  • Knitted sweaters
  • Leaves falling and rustling in streets
  • Mugs of hot cocoa
  • Nestling under quilts during cold nights
  • Orion beginning its rise into the sky
  • Pumpkins!
  • Quiet nights and mornings when people stay inside cozy places
  • Raking leaves
  • Sweatshirts
  • Thanksgiving
  • Under layers needed to keep warm on brisk mornings
  • Very spooky TV shows (this season is chock full of them -- The Walking Dead, Sleepy Hollow, Grimm, Dracula, and let's not forget all of the fun Halloween movies)
  • Winter coats brought out of storage
  • Yule logs (okay, so this is more of a Christmas-y thing, but I do love the magical Christmas season, too, and autumn is the magical season that leads up to that...that's my logic for including it on this list, anyway)


Any suggestions for X and Z? What tops your list for autumn?


2 comments:

  1. (e)Xtra spicy mulled wine or chai
    Zipped up jackets or hoodies

    ReplyDelete