One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

green fire

In a Wildlife Management course I took in college as part of my Zoology degree, I read Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac. I really enjoyed the book, and the class ended up changing some strong ideas I had believed about certain things as well as helped shape my ethic towards nature and wilderness (along with many other wonderful courses I took in college).

When I saw that my local public broadcasting station was airing a short documentary about Aldo Leopold, I excitedly set my DVR to record the show. I forgot about it, but recently found it buried under long lists of shows, and after finally viewing it, I am so incredibly glad I did.

The film is a beautiful tribute to Leopold, and I learned so much more about him than I knew before (which really wasn't all that much, but still...). Leopold's eloquent writing, innovative thinking, extraordinary land ethic, and inspirational messages for generations to come were and still are truly remarkable.

If you're interested in the documentary, visit http://www.aldoleopold.org/greenfire/.

“I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in.” 

“Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a good shovel.”

–Aldo Leopold 

Above: a photo I took at sunset in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Above: a photo I took in the Shining Rock Wilderness area of North Carolina's Pisgah National Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment