One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sunday roast and yoga teacher toast

I recently returned from a two-week holiday in England, visiting family and friends and enjoying relaxation, beautiful countryside and seaside settings, and lots of new things to see and do (hence the lack of recent posts--sorry!).

On Sunday, the day after I returned from the UK and was already missing my holiday, I decided to honor my cousins' tradition of a Sunday roast, although I made mine without the meat, and sadly I had no Yorkshire puddings to accompany my vegetables. Still, it was wonderful to savor the flavors and recall the fun I had in England.

My roast consisted of sweet  potatoes, purple potatoes, and carrots. I mixed together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mirin (Japanese cooking wine), sea salt, ground pepper, and a pinch of dried sage, coated the veggies, and stuck the glass dish in a 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes, stirring once. I could have used many other vegetables in addition to these (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peppers, onions, artichokes, the list goes on and on), but those were what I had and they worked out well.


I also picked up a bottle of Pimm's on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to mixing it with lemonade and fruit--a perfect refresher for this unbearable summer heat and humidity!

For those who are like me, whose hips, back, shoulders, and neck suffer from long stretches in airplanes and  airports, I recommend a good chiropractor and a good yoga class. I visited my chiropractor on Monday for a much-needed adjustment, and I swear by those adjustments; good, certified/licensed chiropractors aren't quacks--they're lifesavers. I did some gentle yoga on my own on Sunday, and on Monday I went to a class at the yoga studio where I practice, whereupon I emerged balanced, aligned, and rejuvenated. Here I want to praise all yoga instructors who walk around and gently adjust students during class; it's that extra lift, stretch, push, pull, tuck, rotation, or lengthening that makes me feel better in my posture and corrected in my practice at home. I raise my glass of Pimm's to you.






No comments:

Post a Comment