One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

fun with colors

I've been seeing some fun-colored food at the local organic grocery store lately (remember the purple potatoes?), and I decided to experiment with a few new things tonight.

The three new ingredients? Black rice (called "forbidden rice" in the bulk section), golden zucchini, and purple garlic. This isn't a recipe I followed--I just made it up, and thank goodness it turned out to be not just edible, but awesome!

First I put 1 and 2/3 cups of the black rice on the stove (with double the amount of water), and I threw in three large pieces of kombu to cook with the rice (I like cooking with kombu because it adds iodine to the food).


While that cooked, I chopped up a small head of the purple garlic and a small yellow onion, wrapped them in foil, and put them in a 400-degree toaster oven to roast for 20 minutes. As you can see, the purple garlic looks purple on the outside, but not so much on the inside.




While those were roasting and the rice still simmering, I chopped up my zucchini (I used one golden and one regular green).


I sauteed the zucchini in sesame oil, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, and coriander, then added in about 3 cups of black beans.



Ding!! After the toaster oven informed me that the onion and garlic were finished roasting, I blended them with a packet of Frontera enchilada sauce.




After removing the kombu from the cooked rice, I added the zucchini and bean mixture and topped it all off with the tomato/onion/garlic sauce.



Mix well, serve hot, and enjoy!! I made a lot so I can share with my fiance and eat it for another couple of days for lunch. YUM!


1 comment: