One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

chickpea muffins?


The name of the recipe is "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Mini-Muffins." But one of the main ingredients is chickpeas!

The entire time I was preparing this recipe, I was a little disgusted. Maybe that's too harsh of a word, but chickpeas in muffins? I'm not a fan of the way chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, smell right out of the can (or in this case, out of the BPA-free pouch from Fig Food Company--get BPA out of your life, friends!).  But I love chickpeas in hummus, salads, Indian and Mediterranean dishes, and etc., so I thought I'd better give it a try.

Trying not to get my hopes up, much like during my vegan Alfredo experiment, I was mentally preparing myself not to like this food (I hate being disappointed by food, don't you?). I tried to get everything as smooth as possible in my Vitamix (who wants chunks of chickpeas in your muffins?) and held my breath while stirring the chocolate chips into the batter.

In the end, these muffins turned out to be super delicious! I'm so glad I tried them--they seem like a healthier version of a breakfast muffin (no eggs, flour, butter, etc.). I modified the recipe in two ways:

  1. I don't have a mini-muffin tin, so I made regular-sized muffins, and this recipe only yielded five muffins. I actually really appreciate the low yield, because I don't have any business baking an entire dozen for me to eat (my fiance isn't a huge fan of chocolate chip baked goods--weirdo!). 
  2. I only used half a cup of sugar instead of 3/4 cup (you really don't need that much--the chocolate chips sweeten the muffins well). 
I put the muffins in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes, but they weren't quite done in the middle, so I lowered the temperature to 300 and put them back in for another five minutes. The muffins were cooked through, though the inside is very soft even when fully cooked (I guess that's why they are called cookie dough muffins?). 

For you brave souls willing to try it, here's the recipe: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4560&catId=11.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment