One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

vegan alfredo

I have fond memories of Alfredo. When I was younger, one of my best friends and her mom who lived down the street made some amazing fettuccine Alfredo. I could just stroll down the road for some amazing pasta, and I always got seconds. I liked Alfredo as a pizza base, with broccoli, with chicken (when I used to eat meat)...I loved it.

Since becoming vegetarian and since eating more vegan foods (and especially since super creamy dairy products don't really like me anyway), I don't typically eat Alfredo anymore. However, when I saw Alicia Silverstone post Allison Rivers Samson's vegan Alfredo recipe on The Kind Life, I knew I had to try it.

Even I was super skeptical of this recipe. I literally only used six ingredients: 1 heaping cup of raw cashews, 2 heaping tablespoons of raw pine nuts, a little over 1.5 cups of water, some squeezes of fresh lemon juice, garlic and salt. And THAT is supposed to taste like Alfredo?

Amazingly, it did. This stuff was magical. I blended the cashews and pine nuts in my Vitamix, then added the remaining ingredients and blended until smooth. After bringing the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, I turned the heat down and simmered for seven minutes (whisking constantly the entire time, including during the bringing-to-a-boil phase). Done! It's that quick and easy!

The result was fabulous, vegan Alfredo. My non-vegetarian, non-vegan fiance approved immensely. Neither of us could believe how good it was. Three cheers for Alfredo!



Below: the pasta I used, in case you're wondering.


No comments:

Post a Comment