One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

salutations and salutes

I completely understand why there's an entire series of movements and breath work in yoga called "Sun Salutation." On days like today, when the sun is shining brightly, warranting sunglasses and warming my skin, I'm saluting the sun as soon as I wake up. I'm one of those people that, when the birds are chirping and soft sunlight is streaming through my window, I want to jump out of bed and get started, not wasting a moment of my day. It's been a long day already, and I've got many a mile to go tonight before I hit the bed (mom used to sing us the story of the fox when we were younger).


This morning I started my day at the therapeutic horse riding center where I volunteer. I saw bluebirds, buttercup-blanketed meadows, a red-tailed hawk, buzzards, and the remains of a small furry creature (A fox's breakfast is my guess! I've seen a red fox there before). Horses and volunteers were all in jovial moods, for which I credit the sunshine and the cool breezes. This afternoon I joined a friend for indoor rock climbing. We recently returned from hiking in the Great Smokies in Tennessee, and just as my legs were unbelievably sore and barely fit to walk after two days of intense hiking, I feel my forearms and fingers will be just as useless tomorrow after a few hours of learning to travere sideways on the rock wall, standing tiptoe on the "rocks," and figuring out "problems" on the bouldering walls (apparently it's called a "problem" when bouldering and a "route" when climbing).

It's evening, and I still need to do some work, writing, cooking, and household drudgery (or, as Barbara Brown Taylor calls it, "domestic arts"). I felt exhausted when I came home, but then I noticed two things and lo and behold, there was my second wind.


Do you remember when I first introduced you to Cocoa Nib? She was just a tiny thing, a little fluff of fur. No more! She's grown longer and leaner, slimmer and sleeker. Watch out, boys! Here comes Cocoa Nib.




She's got a shiny new coat and she's not afraid to flaunt it! She's still the most skittish out of all our neighborhood cats, but she definitely seems a little more confident and comfortable in her setting. I have no idea why seeing her gave me a boost of energy, but it just did. As I began to water my plants indoors, I also noticed that almost all of them have new growth. It's easy to see in the leaves that unfurl as they are being welcomed into the world, searching for the sunshine (if you have plants at home and rotate them, you'll notice their leaves will magically turn toward the sun after a few days).









I was elated to see that my peace lily has a new bloom on display. When I first planted it, it already had one bloom that was open, but I couldn't see any others. I hoped after re-potting it and loving it I would eventually see another bloom (I think this is technically called a spathe?). My wish came true!




I don't know if it will get taller or open up that low...time will tell! Sometimes it's nice to see the fruit of your labor. I planted native grasses and trees in Australia for some conservation volunteer work, but I doubt I will ever see the result of that...and not that I need to, either...there's just something rewarding about seeing a finished product, or a positive result, or some sort of acknowledgment by the universe. So the idea of me seeing a clean house is good enough to keep me going. Walking into work on Monday morning and not feeling as overwhelmed by the amount of work I have yet to do will help me log on tonight. For all that I intend to do tonight, and whether or not I accomplish everything I set out to do, I thank the sunshine, Cocoa Nib, the plants, and everyone else who is working tonight or attempting to check one more thing off their to do lists for inspiring me to keep going. I salute you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment