One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

on marriage

Very recently I became engaged to be married, and today I felt inspired to post this poem by Kahlil Gibran (from The Prophet).

Note to readers: I won't be overwhelming you with endless details of the wedding planning, but I will gladly share my experiences in making the event planning as simple and stress-free as possible. I'm planning with a short turn-around time, on a small budget, and from another city (different from where the wedding will take place). If I discover ways that work (or don't work!) to minimize stress, simplify the planning process, and ensure that the end result is a fun and joyous occasion that is relaxed and non-complicated, I'll tell!

Meanwhile, here's that poem:

On Marriage

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.
Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness, 
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone.
Even as the strings of a lute are alone through they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together yet not too near together: 
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment