One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

vegan battle plan and the continued fight against winter

You may recall from an earlier post that I'm going vegan for Lent this year. Yesterday, I volunteered for several hours in the cold and the physical nature of the work left my stomach grumbling only halfway through my shift. Someone had brought candy to share, and I ate three Andes mints to boost my blood sugar and hold me over until lunch.

Three Andes mints aren't a huge deal, and while they aren't a vegan candy, I'm not beating myself up over "cheating." My body needed a boost, and the candy was my only option. Lesson learned: be more prepared! Since going vegan, I notice that I get hungrier more often but am full more quickly (I don't need to eat as much, but I need to eat more often). My plan is to take snacks with me so that I can combat the hunger and even avoid temptation during the next few weeks.

Today at the grocery store, I also decided that it was high time I got some vegan desserts to keep on hand. My have an awful sweet tooth, but if I know that I have something else to look forward to I can say no to junk and wait for the better treat. Maybe I went a little bit overboard at the grocery store...



Still, at least this way I have ammunition for the battle against non-vegan sweets!

I'm working my way through recipes from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet and Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Kitchen (I was doing this before I went totally vegan, and it really helped my transition). Today's recipe is from The Kind Diet, and I am telling you that while you cook it your house will smell incredible! I'm cooking Sweet Potato-Lentil Stew (recipe available online here) and I'm already excited to try it once it's done doing it's stew thing on the stove.

Above: some of the spices used in the Sweet Potato-Lentil Stew, which not only look pretty but will fill your house with an irresistible spicy-sweet aroma.

The other things still sweetening the air in my home are the Valentine's lilies I blogged about yesterday. And in addition to the lilies adding a non-winter touch to my home, we've installed our humidifier! FINALLY!


Steam, glorious steam!

I can't tell you how sore my throat has been when I wake up in the mornings, how my nose is all stopped up, and how dry my skin has been (the coconut oil I use soaks right in and my skin still begs for more). Unfortunately we can only afford to buy one humidifier right now (I'd love to have multiple units spread around the condo!), but I've been putting it in different rooms to boost the humidity levels all over (our condo really isn't that big--if it were a full-blown house, I think this would be a major waste of time and water). Just because it's freezing cold and frosty outside doesn't mean my home needs to feel like winter, too! All I know is I can't wait to sleep in my bedroom tonight where the air won't be so doggone dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment