One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

out of nowhere

Last year my mother's side of the family had a reunion in the Black Hills of South Dakota. If you've never been to that part of the country, I highly recommend it. I've been out there several times with family, and it feels...holy. Ever watch Dances with Wolves and just get goosebumps from the landscapes? Imagine that in real life. It's breathtaking, honestly.

Above: that goofy grin signals that I'm super happy to be back in South Dakota and also terrified that a buffalo is going to sneak up behind me while I'm not looking.

Above: the Badlands

Above: art in Rapid City, SD

Above: look at that sky and tell me you don't want to go tearing across the field on Cisco, with Two Socks running by your side and Wind in His Hair riding next to you. Are you lost? Go watch Dances with Wolves and ask yourself why you haven't seen this movie before now.


Last summer my sister and I traveled together to the Black Hills, and we shared a room at Sylvan Lake Lodge. Sylvan Lake is situated within Custer State Park, and the place is gorgeous! There are spectacular views, wonderful hiking trails, and abundant wildlife all around.

Above: my sister, Heather, walking on the Sylvan Lake trail.

Above: sunset view from Sylvan Lake Lodge.



Above: greetings from a friend on the Sunday Gulch trail.

Above: photo taken by my sister, Heather, while we were on the Custer State Park wildlife loop. Stunning!

Somehow I got sidetracked--blame it on the photos and fond memories. The real point of this post was to tell you about an artist that was visiting Sylvan Lake Lodge during our stay. Her name is Teri McTighe, and not only is she super talented and extremely friendly, her art was so inspiring and moving that I couldn't help but purchase several pieces. She has a website and is also on Etsy, and she calls her line of artwork Out of Nowhere. I am just now getting around to ordering frames for my pieces (they have yet to be delivered), and I looking at art again lifted my spirits so much that I just had to tell you about her and show you her amazing artwork.

Above: I bought small cards and arranged them on my desk at home for inspiration.

Above: "Dash at Dawn"

Above: "Night Watchman"

2 comments:

  1. So many good memories! I am thankful that we got to take that trip...and together! Just looking at the art reminds me of our stay and my longing to go back again. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And to tackle the Sunday Gulch trail again!

      Delete