One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

40 days a vegan

This year I'm observing Lent by eating completely vegan. I'm already a vegetarian and I don't eat seafood, but this means I'll banish all forms of dairy and eggs from my diet.

My diet is already mostly vegan, but I definitely need an extra push to go all the way. I was vegan in college, and I know determination, yummy recipes, and some vegan treats when I'm tempted can help me do it again.

Last night I got a head start: I made, from scratch, molasses cornmeal muffins and an acorn squash and mung bean stew. Everything was organic and the food was incredible! My non-vegan, non-vegetarian boyfriend was eating everything up and exclaiming how satisfied his taste buds were. This was the first time I've used the Japanese condiment mirin, a sweet rice cooking wine, and I swear it made the stew taste magical!


I'm a slacker when it comes to consistently writing in my journal, so I'm also trying to bring focus and attention to writing in my journal more frequently.

Are you doing anything for the next 40 days for religious or other purposes? Is there some habit you're trying to form or break?


No comments:

Post a Comment