One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

saucy girl

My boyfriend calls me spicy and fiery. My sister calls me sassy child. My mom says I have a mouth on me.

I say I was born this way. My dad is from Guadalajara, Mexico, and I claim it's my Latina blood in me that makes me "spicy" and "fiery."

Regardless, that's actually how I enjoy my food--with heat!! At home (not in public, because it's not the most attractive thing in the world to blow your nose into a napkin!) I love to season my food so much that my eyes are watering and my nose is running, lips tingling after I've already eaten. The irony here is that I can't handle nearly as much heat as my mom, who is originally from South Dakota and has blonde hair and blue eyes without a drop of Latina blood in her. She's incredible (and her taste buds are probably singed off by now).

My sisters and I reminisce of days when our dad (my stepdad, but he's still my dad--it's my biological dad who is from Guadalajara) would cook chili and make it so spicy that we were weeping at the table, trying for all the world to stifle the burning sensation in our mouths with copious amounts of cheese and crumbled Saltines.

Nowadays, I welcome the added heat, and tonight I've discovered a mixture that pleased my palate.


These two products combine make a fantastic spicy dipping sauce, perfect for the chipotle sweet potato fries I was using to dip. The Fiero is no joke--proceed with caution!! I'm a huge fan of unique and fun flavor combinations, and this one didn't disappoint me.

In the words of the Spice Girls, go on and "spice up your life!" Latina blood not required.

No comments:

Post a Comment