One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

simple minded


Remember that old Quaker song, Simple Gifts? It talks about the gift of simplicity, and when you attain simplicity, it sets you free.

Lately I've been working toward simplifying my life. I've felt bound by my various commitments and was always the go-to "planner" for various acquaintances. I've almost felt caged in by everything around me (if you've been reading my blog, you've probably read hints that this past season of autumn has been beyond hectic for me, and I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel).

So I'm taking steps to live simply and simply live. It's not the easiest process in the world, and it requires me saying no to a lot of things I normally would say yes to, as well as carving out a lot more time for me to reflect and figure out a plan--yes, even a plan to be more simple!--for how I can go about implementing these changes long-term for a more healthy take on life.

There are many ways one goes about simplifying, and these are just a few examples of what's been working for me:


  • Created resolutions that help me stay on track and posted the list on my fridge.
  • Downsized my calendar, which surprisingly forced me to stop overbooking myself (and lightened the load in my purse!).

  • Gave a lot of unused items and extra baggage to Goodwill (you WILL feel lighter when you do this--I promise!).
  • Read an excerpt from Minimalism for Grandparents--it's totally applicable to me, and I'm not even close to being a grandparent. This book has just released TODAY and you can purchase it on your Kindle for only $9.99 (available through Amazon). I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to work towards minimalism (the kind that's right for you--not your neighbor, friend, mother, etc.) in a meaningful way.
  • Started reading The Simple Things, a British magazine that is chock full of reminders of how to step back from the crazy, be present, and find enjoyment in, well, the simple things.


No comments:

Post a Comment