One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Monday, December 3, 2012

savory pumpkin soup

Happy December! I'm breaking in the last month of the year with another modified Vitamix soup recipe. Don't be fooled into thinking that pumpkin makes this soup sweet--this is a savory soup, unlike the acorn squash soup. After so much pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin lattes, and other sweet pumpkin treats during Thanksgiving, it's nice to let pumpkin show off its versatility and shine as a savory star.

Here's my take on the Vitamix's Holiday Squash Soup (veganized, of course!):


  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 2 cups pumpkin (if it's not fresh, make sure it's BPA-free!)
  • 1 shallot (or 1/4 onion), peeled
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or hemp milk or soy milk)
  • 1/4 medium apple, seeded
  • 1/4 tsp dried sage
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
Blend in the blender until smooth, then heat and serve. YUM!

While prepping, I was blasting John Williams' main themes from Jurassic Park (one of my all-time favorite movies for so many wonderful reasons). As I type this post, I'm blasting Josh Groban's "You Are Loved," and I'm reminded of when my college roommate, Genevieve, and I would blast this song in our apartment and sing it at the top of our lungs. What's better than a warm cup of soup, Josh Groban serenading you, and fond memories of a wonderful friend? Happy December!

P.S. Not tuned into Packing Lust? My former college roomie, Genevieve, has a fun blog to follow: www.packinglust.com. There's some reading material for when you're sipping on soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment