One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December decor diary

This is my third day home from work this week, and all I want for Christmas is to be rid of this @%*! virus. I'm disgusted with myself; I can't imagine what others would think if I were out in public, looking and sounding as egregious as I am, sniffling and sneezing furiously, panicking to find the nearest tissue.

I'm in my home all day and all night, depressed because the sun was shining brightly outside today and I really, really do need to get back to the office so I don't fall behind in my work. Being stuck inside my home all day does mean that I get to organize somewhat when I'm not feeling too puny, and it has made me appreciate little spaces I normally overlook.

Above: I hung this hand-made gift from a friend to brighten up my mood--a little friend to be trapped inside the house with me!

Above: a photograph of my grandfather from when he was younger sits on a bookshelf. One of the (few!) nice things about being sick is that I get to catch up on books. I've just finished For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund.

Above: a sweet elephant from Ten Thousand Villages and a lucky white buffalo from South Dakota sit on top of my DVD cabinet (that I built myself!) next to a book called To The Arctic, which is a beautiful, photography-filled conservation love letter to, well, the Arctic (by Florian Shulz, who was gracious to sign my book after a marvelous presentation he did at a conservation breakfast during an Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City, Utah).


Above: a picture of my mom holding me while we were in England and a picture of my grandfather when he was much younger.

Above: organization excites me--I can't tell you how much I love organized but fun spaces that aren't too stuffy or perfect.

Above: sketches from my late cousin, Tim, adorn the walls and put a smile on my face.

Above: plants make me very, very happy.

Above: my sister gave me this picture and I adore it.

Above: little details make spaces more personal.

Aside from a lovely wreath on the front door, I don't have any sort of Christmas decorations up--no tree, no lights, no nothing. I wasn't prepared for the holidays this year, but it's not too late to start, right?! Especially when one is sick and has limited activity opportunities. The problem is that I simply don't have Christmas decorations--well, hardly any. This might be as pathetic as I feel right now, but I honestly needed something to do while I'm in the house all day. I have these sweet ornaments that were made in Bangladesh that I purchased from Ten Thousand Villages during a Community Shopping Night (a percentage of the proceeds went to help a local animal shelter). I placed them on a scarf that I'm doubling as an autumn/winter table runner, and ta dah! Christmas decorations...sort of...




What's better than Christmas cheer to help cure colds, eh? Maybe this isn't better, but it's certainly on par for me--there's nothing like a good pair of warm, fuzzy slippers to make you feel better when you're down in the dumps. 


No comments:

Post a Comment