One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

creamy pumpkin quinoa

I'm sick. I feel horrible. I'm home from work. I've foregone holiday parties and happy hours, and the only thing consoling me right now is the couch, tissues, hot tea with Manuka honey, and well, food. Growing up, I never lost my appetite when I got sick. The same is true today. It's rare for me to stop eating when I'm sick, so when that's the case, you know there's something seriously wrong with me. At all other times, I'm ready with knife and fork in hand.

I thought I might try cooking a new recipe today to make me feel better. I saw this VegNews recipe for Creamy Pumpkin Quinoa, and thought it sounded like a marvelous dish to try. I learned two things with this endeavor:

  1. I really hate cooking while miserably sick. I don't recommend it. 
  2. This recipe makes a super delicious, yummy, healthy dish that tastes gourmet and yet is very easy to make.
So at least the end result was yummy! The original recipe is here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5169&catId=11. I increased it because I had a 2-cup container of pumpkin and wanted to use the whole thing, plus I wanted to use my entire onion I had on hand. Here's my version of the recipe:


  • 3 cups water
  • 1.5 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1 whole sweet onion, diced
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups pumpkin (BPA-free)
  • 1 tsp dried sage
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp dried thyme
  • 4.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
I basically made it the same way: Bring the water to a boil and add your quinoa and onion; cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Once simmering is done, remove from heat, add remaining ingredients, and stir well.







No comments:

Post a Comment