One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

carrot buckwheat bread

Recently I was going through my refrigerator and my pantry, trying to use up some items, and somehow threw these ingredients together and baked them up into a yummy bread! I encourage creativity in the kitchen, so if you have different ideas for your own take on this recipe, and if you decide to get a little experimental in the kitchen, I'd love to hear how it goes!

  • 5 medium/large carrots, grated
  • 2 eggs (from happy, free-of-hormones-and-other-nasties, cage-free chickens, please!)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup organic canola oil
  • 1/4 cup hemp milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp stevia
  • 1 and 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp buckwheat flour (that's how much was left in my bag!)
  • cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to taste
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp soda
I basically mixed my wet ingredients with the sugar and stevia, then added in the dry stuff and mixed until combined. The buckwheat gives it a rich, dark color (and loads of fiber and protein!), and the carrots and applesauce lend a vitamin C boost. Pour your batter into a 2-quart square pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lightly greased. Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment