One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Friday, September 21, 2012

sick day

I have my first (and hopefully only!) cold of the season. Yesterday I was able to work a full day from home instead of going into the office and spreading my germs, and today I attempted for one pathetic hour then logged off and went back to bed. I haven't had a cold since April, so I wasn't surprised that, as temperatures have been dropping and the pollen has intensified, my seasonal allergies seemed to have morphed into a cold. I have ceased exercising, have been consuming excess amounts of hot tea, and plan to start taking a teaspoon of Manuka honey twice daily. I've tried to sleep as much as I possibly can, which is naturally hard for me because when the sun is up and out, my body tells me I should be awake. I'm looking forward to a really hot shower in a few hours, and have decided that even though I feel miserable, I don't have to look that way! I'm going to give myself a full facial today as well (although forget the make-up--I'm au naturale when I'm sick at home). Here's what all I've been doing to make my sick days as tolerable as possible.


  • Sick day...spa day! I feel worse today than I did yesterday, but I'm determined not to let it get the better of me. I'm a huge fan of pampering myself. I spend more money on organic food and wholesome, non-toxic products because I feel better about what I'm putting in and on my body. I treat myself to an organic spa when I can afford to, and my mind and body thank me for it. Here's a glimpse of what today's, at-home spa will incorporate:
 Above: who says awesome facial products can't have fun packaging?

 Above: for smooth, soft, sensual lips, use Sweet Lips lip scrub from Lush!

 Above: I'm a huge fan of the Buffy body bar from Lush, not only because of the name (keep reading this post and you'll see what I mean), but because your skin feels divine after using it. Not all of Lush's products are vegan or free of parabens, sulfates, and etc., but this is one that is "hippie" approved (my boyfriend calls me a "hippie") and works like a charm!


Above: my favorite, inexpensive body moisturizer? Fair trade, organic coconut oil. Rub it into your skin after a shower until the oil is absorbed, and you'll be glowing! A little bit goes a long way, too!


  • Fresh air: Thankfully it's not too hot and not too cold to leave the windows open, and the fresh air and breeze feels wonderful. Today I'm going to sit in the sunshine for 15 minutes to get a vitamin D boost (and sunshine always makes me feel good).



  • Exercising my brain: While I'm doing some stretching to maintain flexibility and keep blood and lymph flowing, I'm not really exercising because my body is telling me it needs good, old-fashioned rest. That doesn't mean I can't exercise my mind, though! I have a membership to Lumosity, a website where you play fun games to improve your brain health and performance. It can help in all sorts of situations, including how you operate in the workplace! Lumosity is helping me keep my brain and mind active while the rest of my body rests.


  • Guilty (and non-guilty! pleasures: Normally I don't have too much time to watch TV, so now that I'm home sick, I can take advantage of all this extra time to watch movies and catch up on DVR. I'm a fan of the old show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and watching old episodes of Sarah Michelle Gellar kicking butt and laughing at the witty writing has been fun. A coworker told me about Suri's Burn Book, and it's like a train wreck--I can't look away! That's a really guilty pleasure. Something not so guilty? Finishing the documentary I started watching earlier in the week, Carbon Nation. Here are some fascinating (and sobering) tidbits from the film:
"A single medium-sized coal plant in 10 days of operation completely negates 300,000 trees over a 100-year lifetime." My take on this? The time for green, clean energy is NOW and every second we waste not pursuing it is even more detrimental to our clean air, clean water, health, animals, and plants.

In Chicago, the temperature on a green roof is 80-90 degrees. On a blacktop roof, it's at least 160 degrees. If the temperature of Chicago were reduced by just one degree, Chicago would save $150 million per year on air conditioning costs. Painting rooftops white is just as (if not more) effective.

Every year we clear forests that, size-wise, are equivalent to half of California. One-fifth of the total of humans' carbon emissions comes from deforestation. The land is cleared for cattle for meat production and for soybeans to grow so the cattle can be fed. If every meat-eater went meatless one day out of the week, the impact would be huge. One of the many reasons I became vegetarian is because of the harmful impact that the meat industry has on our environment. I don't preach that everyone on the planet needs to be like me, but if everyone made a small dietary change such as going meatless for one day out of the week, it would mean more trees, more water, and less carbon dioxide in the air that heats up our earth.

4 comments:

  1. Great tip about the coconut oil. I'll give that a try. Shea butter also goes a long way but it's expensive.

    I've added the Lumosity app to my iPhone. I think I'll crack and get a membership.

    Carbon Nation is definitely on the "to view" list.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! I adore the smell of coconut, too, so I don't even feel the need to mix it with something scented. I love Lumosity, and hope you do too! It's fun to see yourself improve. I also hope you enjoy Carbon Nation!

      Delete
  2. Bring all your goodies when you come home and we can spa together :-)

    Also, a PC from San Diego told me last fall about Suri's Burn Book...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me! That blog is awful, but funny! My coworker says her favorite part is when she's trash-talking her mom.

      Delete