One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

heal the burn

I felt the burn, all right. I was putting tomatoes into the oven that had preheated to about 425 degrees when the oven door slammed up and burned my arm. I immediately ran to the kitchen sink and let cold water run over it, watching the skin that had been in contact with the door turning white under the stream. I turned off the tap and quickly ran to my bathroom, slathering un-petroleum jelly on the burn because I wanted to keep it hydrated. Immediately the skin turned a dark reddish-gray. This is bad, I thought. I'm no stranger to burns (I love to cook, and in college I worked as a barista in a local coffee shop--that espresso machine gets HOT!), but this was worse than any burn I've ever had. Sure enough, the skin blistered and I knew I had to keep it covered and protected.

Two weeks ago my burn looked like this:







Before I continue, let me disclose that I am NOT a doctor and I am NOT giving medical advice; I'm simply sharing my own experience that somehow worked well for me. Like I said, I slathered un-petroleum jelly on the burn for the first day, thinking that a thick salve like that might help in some way, shape, or form.
After that, I used an aloe gel that I just happened to have around the house (my poor aloe plants died when I moved, and I liked that this gel was not only organic but also infused with vitamins). I used the aloe for a couple of days.

Finally, I remembered hearing about people using honey medicinally to help with burns (and other skin ailments, but I digress), so I did some research. It seemed that manuka honey from New Zealand was my best bet, as it has been used and lauded for its healing properties. The manuka tree is also known as tea tree, and the manuka honey is incredibly thick and has a strong flavor with hints of eucalyptus (I'm a honey fan and couldn't resist a small dollop after each changing of my bandages/gauze!). I chose Wedderspoon not only because it was organic but because the label said that it was not blended with any other honeys and that each batch could be traced directly back to the beekeeper. I chose the 16+ because it claimed it was the most potent in the line of honeys. Whether applying it to my burn or licking it off of a spoon, I'm in love with this honey:


I burned myself two weeks ago, and while I'm still keeping gauze bandaged over it for protection, while the skin is still raw, and while I'm still having to apply the honey (and the aloe gel on occasion), it has healed remarkably:



Maybe I'll have a scar. Maybe it'll take another two weeks to fully heal. But the honey has been a fabulous find, and I have to say, the roasted tomatoes were worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love Manuka honey too! Every time we see Cecil's mom she gets us a jar which she buys in Australia. She believes in its wonderful health properties too.

    ReplyDelete