One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

savory summer

Warning: this post may cause feelings of hunger or rumbling of tummies.

Today is America's Independence Day, and what better way to toast the holiday than with local produce? I've been taking advantage of summer and the wonderful produce that thrives in this warmer season, and in the spirit of being patriotic and supporting my community, I try to buy as much locally as possible. I love shopping at My Organic Market, which has only organic produce (among other many, wonderful things in its store!) and strives to obtain most of it locally. I also like MOM's (its nickname) because they are one of the most sustainable grocery stores around, powered by wind, using TerraPass to offset mileage that customers put on their cars to get to the store, encouraging the use of reusable shopping bags, having a great recycling system (which customers can take advantage of), and picking and choosing only the best products to line their shelves.

For breakfasts, I've been eating a Food for Life 7 Sprouted Grains English muffin topped with organic stone ground mustard, a chopped organic avocado, chopped organic grape tomatoes, and some Himalayan pink salt (a combination inspired by Kimberly Snyder). It looks like this and is fabulously filling, delicious, and nutritious:
For my evening suppers, I've been craving something lighter with the intense heat and all, and so have been eating a salad and a smoothie. And wow--what smoothies! I've been using as much organic produce as I can pack in them, and I also like to add chia seeds to get some extra fiber, protein, omega 3s, and minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium. Lately I've been adding (all organic!) blueberries, bananas, strawberries, pluots (hybrid of plum and apricot), kiwis, frozen raspberries, frozen mango, and kale. Kale?!?! Yes, kale. My boyfriend who is not a vegetarian like me and won't hesitate to tell me if he doesn't like something loves these smoothies. For his sake I add a little sweetener (raw agave, local raw honey, stevia, whatever we have on hand).
I think they're only going to get better once I get my coveted Vitamix blender; I've been lusting over one of those ever since I saw Pati Jinich demonstrate their power! With all of the fruits and vegetables I've been devouring, I'm feeling super clean and healthy.

That being said, I'm not a super crazy healthy eater all the time; just the other weekend I celebrated my boyfriend's birthday at Kellari and enjoyed a large dinner of bread and butter, arugula salad with balsamic crema and seared Haloumi cheese, broccoli rabe cooked with garlic and feta, and truffled mushroom risotto. Oh wait--I haven't even started on the desserts! It being his birthday and us wanting to celebrate to the extreme, we sampled Greek coffee gelato, Galatoboureko (vanilla and citrus custard pie), dark chocolate mousse cake with berries and cream, profiteroles (like cream puffs) with vanilla gelato, and a dark chocolate mocha pot de creme. We took home boxes, yes, but we also ate a ton!

And just for the heck of it, because I'm already on a roll with food (and once I get started on food, I just can't stop) and because summer menus have been so inspiring lately, I'll share some summer food pictures from my most recent trip to Le Pain Quotidien when I was able to visit some great friends and meet their brand new baby:
 Above: watermelon cooler with watermelon, cucumber, mint, and agave
 Above: organic sauvignon blanc
 Above: seared quinoa cake
 Above: grilled chicken tartine (I didn't try this because it has meat, but I could still appreciate the beautiful presentation)
 Above: mushroom lasagna
 Above: vegan six-layer quiche with buckwheat crust
 Above: vegan carrot cake
 Above: a chocolate mousse creation
 Above: vegan apple pastry
Above: summer berry trifle

I'll end wishing all of my fellow U.S. citizens a happy and safe Independence Day. I hope you're having as much of a savory summer as I am! And I won't judge you if you watch Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens yet again on television reruns (honestly, that movie, like Jurassic Park, will never get old for me).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post Nat! Love your attention to local sustainability and your scrumptious looking food! The descriptions are literally making my mouth water. :)

    ReplyDelete