One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Friday, July 13, 2012

homesick for hospitals


I might be the only person I know who actually likes hospitals. I don't like being hospitalized and I don't like the idea of germs, diseases, and people suffering or in pain, but hospitals are comforting to me because they remind me of my mom. My mom worked in hospitals for over twenty years (she now works in a county public health department), and when my sister and I were little, we'd go visit her at times at the hospital. Sometimes our grampy, while babysitting us, would take us to visit her and we'd eat lunch in the cafeteria. At other times, our dad would drop us off from a weekend with him to wait until she got done with her shift, and we'd sit quietly in a room eating crackers while soap operas played on an old TV mounted on the wall. The hospital hallways, sterile smell, whiteboards with notes, paging system, and scrub uniforms all make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Not the typical reaction for most people, I know!

Yesterday I was on a mini field trip with some work colleagues at a radiation oncology unit in a local hospital. I got terribly homesick and wanted to be that little girl in a hospital staff room, watching old soap operas while eating crackers and sipping ginger ale, waiting for my mom to sweep in with a bright-magenta-lipstick-smile on her face and hug my sister and me with her clean-smelling scrubs. It's funny what triggers nostalgia and memories.

 Above: my mom in her high school graduation photo.
A lot of my early memories of my mom remind me of the actress Julie Andrews, but I don't really know how to describe why.
 Above: me or my sister--I can't tell you which one!
 Above: Heather on the left, me on the right.
 Above: I'm in pink with Kermit.

 Above: my sister and I at one of the entrances to the Great Smoky Mountains, on a trip with our dad. Note our neon cat/rose screen-printed shirts with matching socks. SO fly. I always wore red/pink and she always wore blue (our parents had to color code us).
 Above: Heather and dad at a hotel on a beach trip. Dad was such a good sport to pose with our soccer balls (he himself played in a league and won tournaments) and a plethora of stuffed animals. Another fashionable moment: Heather and I had these shorts that had Easter eggs or gumdrops or  something on them (see above). Also, note Heather's scrunchie on her wrist. Hello, 90s!
Above: a more recent picture of me and mom (with her bright magenta lipstick).

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Nat! So perfectly wonderful and a great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maren!! Miss you too!!

      Delete