One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

double shot of relaxation

Today, instead of espresso, I got a double shot of relaxation.

First, I was introduced to a poem (or "best friend"--an immense thank you, Wendi, if you're reading this). From some of my older posts, I'm sure you're already aware that nature is a best friend of mine; this poem is like a friend who reminds me how great my other friend, nature, is. Here is the poem:


THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry


Something that occurred to me later today, long after I was introduced to the poem, was that one of the first books I was introduced to in my childhood by my Grampy (my Atticus Finch--he also taught me to read and write) was Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are. And in the spirit of wildness and relaxation, I love Enya, and her song "Wild Child" is one of my favorites.

My second shot of relaxation was yoga. If you've never tried yoga, if you think it's girly, if you're not flexible, if you think it's a religion or cult, if you think it's too easy, if you think it's too hard, if you think it doesn't count as exercise...whatever your doubts or first impressions of yoga, I encourage you to open your mind to trying it and you'll find your body opens up like a flower. Areas of tension are gone, you miraculously find your breath that you weren't aware you had, your limbs feel relaxed and joints more lubricated, and that nagging headache? Gone. I've been practicing for almost 10 years, and the benefits are infinite. Even though I try to practice several times a week, I love a good class where instructors adjust me and I'm reminded of why I love yoga.

A benediction for tonight: May rest and relaxation be yours, may peace smooth the tension in your face and body, may you sleep well tonight, and may you move with the grace and comfort of being free from worry.

Namaste.

Below: take a respite from stress by taking a mini vacation as you journey through photos from trips to Puerto Rico and Colorado.























No comments:

Post a Comment