One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Friday, July 27, 2012

dark circles

I've never met anyone who has said they have the perfect physical appearance. I've met some individuals who were confident in their views of their looks, but never anyone who was 100% satisfied or admitted to having flawless physical attributes. Even in this age of Botox and breast implants, fillers and fake tans, chemical peels, tummy tucks, and any cocktail combination of chemicals that promises to erase fine lines and wrinkles or cure a blotchy complexion, I've never heard of any quest for the so-called perfect body ever being truly fulfilled (maybe because everyone's definition of a "perfect" body is different?).

Of course, like any normal person, I have my own body issues. Despite exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet, there are still areas that I wish I could tweak. Honestly, though? I'm actually pretty comfortable in my own skin. Today, however, I came face-to-face with one of my arch enemies. You may have heard of this one: it's the nefarious under-eye dark circles.

I am cursed with indentations under my eyes, not only seemingly accentuating any darkness under my eyes, but also intensifying when I don't get enough sleep. Which is, practically, all the time. Sleep issues are rife in my mom's side of the family. I have suffered from nightmares, insomnia, and waking up multiple times in the night for as long as I can remember. Troubling dreams have woken me up before, and there have been times when I didn't want to go back to sleep because of my tendency to slip back into the nightmares upon falling asleep again.

Needless to say, it's not unusual for me to have dark circles under my eyes. Today, I was going to the bathroom at work and stopped short when I caught sight of myself in the mirror. Were those black eyes I saw?! I ran up to the mirror and inspected my eye area. No, not bruises, but boy did it look like I'd been punched in the nose. I've never seen them that bad before (my mom once told me I had black smudges under my eyes, but that was when I was in the hospital...with viral meningitis...and she also said I looked like death during that time, so that doesn't really count). Ugh. I own and use concealer, but I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my money.

I've considered taking medication for getting more sleep, but I never actually go through with it. I drink organic nighttime tea and also have some to ease tension (it has catnip in it, too, which is supposed to help), and every now and again if I need to take a muscle relaxer or codeine (for a migraine) I'm guaranteed a good's night rest. I try to exercise regularly because some say that's good for helping one fall asleep. Even on the weekend's, I'm usually volunteering and running around keeping busy, so I usually want to go to bed.

On the way home from work, I kept thinking about those black smudges under my eyes. They're not the end of the world! I've come to terms with the little lines under my eyes because they're from smiling, and it's not like I'm ever going to stop smiling anytime soon. The dark circles? It might take me more time to befriend them (or, at most, tolerate them). As cliche as this sounds, they are a part of me. They even give me character, right? (Right??) My attitude started to shift, and I started thinking about the things I DO like about me. Thinking positively and being grateful for what I have been blessed with is a lot more fun than getting stuck on one small imperfection. Dark circles, meh. I'm moving on.

Below: my dark circles on full display during a hike (pictured next to me is my stepdad). This was after six hours of sleep and a very intense 3-hour hike earlier in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment