One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

craving Culpeper

My grandparents lived in Culpeper, Virginia for a while, then moved to Charlottesville and lived there for a while, and now are back in Culpeper. I adore Charlottesville and was sad that they weren't living there anymore, but yesterday I visited them in Culpeper and was thoroughly impressed. Culpeper has changed a lot and is looking more and more like the small, sweet, main street towns scattered throughout America like treasures and which have plenty to offer. It seems that there is a real emphasis on fresh, local food (one sign reminded visitors to "Remember: No Farms, No Food!" and encouraged them to visit the local farmer's market). There are a lot of happenings going on in the downtown area which make me think that the people of Culpeper are really invested in their town and trying to connect with each other. I noticed a push in many stores toward eco-friendly products, non-toxic toys, organic and fair-trade clothing and food, and overall environmental sustainability--something that is not often found in some southern small towns. Some of my favorites that I visited yesterday:


 It was nearly 100 degrees yesterday, so I had to cut my visit short. I fully intend to do more exploring come autumn! Of course the best part of the day was seeing my grandparents:

These are actually two of my favorite photographs I've taken of Gramma Jo and Grampy Orlo. I hope one day to paint a portrait of my grandfather using the photograph above. We had a marvelous lunch at Thyme (highly recommended!) and time spent with them is invaluable. I'm already looking forward to my next visit! I'll sign off with flowers, and perhaps you too will be craving Culpeper!





2 comments: