One of my favorite quotes is by J.R.R. Tolkien: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Here I'm giving glimpses of all I am deciding in the time that is given to me. Enjoy! All pictures and posts are mine, thank you! Please ask permission for photo use.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

first bloom brightens the room

Plants make me happy. Whether they are indoors, outdoors, green, colorful, magnificent trees or delicate blossoms, I love them. I'm really excited, not only because my own plants seem to be thriving in my semi-new home (I changed homes around 7 months ago), but because one of my plants has its first bloom! And here it is in all of its little glory:
Now let me amend my statement. My plant had its first bloom. I came home the other day and it was lying on the floor, having gracefully fallen such a long way for such a tiny bloom. My heart sank a little, but then I remembered my sister telling me that the plant will be full of blooms one day! That this little, sweet blossom was only the beginning! I think we have moments in life where we are blooming, alive and beautiful and life is sweet, and perhaps we gracefully (or not!) transition into a time where our bloom has fallen, and we're waiting for that next moment, and the best part is that we can hope for such a glorious time when the blooms will be full and abundant.

Another thing I look forward to is the cherry blossom tree that will be in full bloom right outside of this window in the spring. The tree is in bloom for a fleeting moment it seems, boasting its pink proudly until a spring rain sends the blossoms raining down like falling stars. Yet before that happens, this room is magnificent:
The wonderful thing about blooming plants is that when you walk in and see that first bloom (of spring or of the plant), it instantly brightens your room and mood. Since taking the above photo of the cherry blossom tree, the windows have received beautiful curtains which have added a nice touch to the room. How else do I brighten this guest room? A John Singer Sargeant picture, a photo of my mother holding me in England when I was much younger, a vase and glass bead branch decorations from Lewis Ginter Gardens in Richmond, VA, and a photo of my grandfather walking through the door long before I was ever born (in what I like to call his "Atticus Finch" look):


No comments:

Post a Comment